The official Rend servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Rend Developer Letter: Launch!

Warriors, the glorious day is upon us: Rend is leaving Early Access! We launched Rend into the Steam Early Access program on July 31, 2018 as a fully developed survival game that offered room for growth and our goal from the start was to continuously grow and improve the game by working directly with players to gather feedback every step of the way.

Rend has seen significant updates and improvements during the eight months of its Early Access – all addressing top player requests, interests and concerns – including 50+ game patches and nine major content updates that introduced new game modes, artifact weapons, biomes, creatures, player abilities, siege weapons, and more. And today with the release of its final content update, we are proud to announce that Rend has officially launched!

Read more at https://www.rendgame.com/news/article/rend-developer-letter-spring-2019
Tagged:

Comments

• On Exploration servers at least, there is no research for spirit stables! Can't summon my pet!
  • Treebeard wrote: »
    On Exploration servers at least, there is no research for spirit stables! Can't summon my pet!

We're tracking this bug for a fix, it appears that research on Exploration and Classic is missing two categories as of Patch 9.
  • KaYseeurKaYseeur
    What about the bronto / Mine donjon with the big gate entry / Reckoning monsters ( Tank,Heal, Sword draugt) /Portail at the center of the map ??
  • TreebeardTreebeard
    edited April 3
    KaYseeur wrote: »
    What about the bronto / Mine donjon with the big gate entry / Reckoning monsters ( Tank,Heal, Sword draugt) /Portail at the center of the map ??

Don't expect a response to this. They have given up on this game. They didn't listen to the player-base and every one left. Now they are complaining that the game is no longer financially viable.
  • edited April 4

Unfortunately, we don't have further content updates planned at this time.
    Treebeard wrote: »
    They didn't listen to the player-base and every one left.

Our development process for each patch involved harvesting player feedback from all of our official communication channels and closely evaluating it to determine which issues were the game's primary points of friction. Many of our bug fixes can be directly tied to a player report of the bug occurring.
  • TreebeardTreebeard
    Scapes wrote: »
    Many of our bug fixes can be directly tied to a player report of the bug occurring.

Perhaps, but bugs haven't been the only issues and even those aren't all fixed.

• FrumpylumpsFrumpylumps ✭✭ ✭✭
    edited April 5
    Treebeard wrote: »

Don't expect a response to this. They have given up on this game.

Try not to be such a bitter and senseless moron. Nobody even knows what you are talking about.

Just because they didn't listen to YOUR foolish ideas doesn't mean they weren't listening to the player-base.

In my experience they have been excellent when it comes to fixing the problems. 90% of the things I complained about were fixed.

• TreebeardTreebeard
    Just because they didn't listen to YOUR foolish ideas doesn't mean they weren't listening to the player-base.

In my experience they have been excellent when it comes to fixing the problems. 90% of the things I complained about were fixed.

Maybe they should have listened to me and NOT you. I mean after-all, if what you say is true, they listened to you 90% of the time and look where we are now. A failed game, with less than 1% of the original player base. No longer financially viable.
  • Jarvis5Jarvis5
    Sad to see this game fall so hard. So much potential yet it was all wasted. Im going to try and provide some constructive criticism because I think you guys had some genuinely great ideas and with better execution could possibly make a great game if you are still attempting game making. Some things with Rend I think were drastically overlooked or simply ignored. First is the friendly fire.... just an absolute terrible idea yet you refused to change it (to my knowledge it was never changed) even if it was for most who quit because of it, it was probably too late. How can something like this be disregarded for so long. Did you honestly think people wouldn’t play your game if they couldn’t kill their own teammates? I bet no one would have quit if you had changed it at the beginning but I’d be willing to bet a number of players quit because of it. The next glaring issue and probably the biggest was server management. You made “60” player servers, but that isn’t actually true. They are actually only 20 player servers, if I join server 1 and join faction A I dont care how many open slots are available on the server if faction A already has its 20 player limit. There could be 40 other slots open and you still wouldn’t have been able to join. It should have been one character on a single server at a time, you want to join another server you have to delete the first character off the other server, if you want to join back to the other sever if there is still a spot open, you can only join the faction you originally chose. There should have only been 20 slots per faction per server and those slots were saved regardless if a faction member was online or not. This prevents a “60” player sever from having 200 players all on the same server which would and did obviously create huge issues. Creating limitations for the players is the most effective way to combat trolling and griefing which has become a huge plague in online gaming. You have to treat it like the real world, you expect players to behave in a certain manner than you need to create rules and “laws.” You gave the players the option to kill their teammates are you honestly surprised it became an issue? You as the devs should have made it impossible not expected the players to just simply not do it. The faction base was another issue, the faction base should have been a pre designed structure that players were able to upgrade not create. Too many debates on which building technique was best, how many doors, windows, etc... so it turned into whoever was on at the time got to decide.  Once again this led to griefing, at some point early in the alpha I logged in, made a wall all the way around the outer most part of the building area, put 4 doors, one on each side, then I made an “airlock” but I didn’t make doors on the inside instead just walls. I was trying to prove a point, my teammates had to wait for 20 minutes for the only guy on at the time who could change it to fix what I had done. People could get out, no one could get in... that’s ridiculous. It was shit like this that crippled this game, turned players into the same players they were trying to avoid, people started trolling out of anger, frustration, revenge, hate, boredom, fun. I know you wanted to have more faith in your player base but everyone who has bothered to look has heard or seen or read or lived through BS of their own in other survival titles, I I’ll never understand why you thought this would be different. Simple things like a Diablo style stash system would have done wonders, things like a pre designed base the same for all three factions. With pieces that could only be upgraded or destroyed not removed or degraded. Would have gave everyone something to work towards without the bickering of design or people undoing a bunch of someone else’s work. Things like server control to make sure servers aren’t overpopulated, some sort of faction removal option most likely a voting system that would become an option after a player hasn’t logged into the server for more than X days. I know you guys talked about trolling at one point and though I agree with you that it is a problem not easily dealt with it’s like you just said you know what, we can’t do anything about the trolling so we won’t even try.  Then proceeded to create a trolls paradise where they could endlessly harass the very people they were supposed to be helping. A reputation isn’t something you earn from a mechanic of a game, it’s something earned from the people you are interacting with. Who cares if your the highest ranked in the faction if that player is just an asshole and miserable to play with, yet because of this flawed system this player has more power of decision over the other players. I do appreciate the effort you guys put in to create the game, develop more content and features and the work put into making bug fixes. But with that said, it wasn’t ultimately the bugs and “lack of content” that drove the majority away, it was your uncompromising approach to fixing systems you had implemented that effectively crippled the game for players actually trying to play to win. I’m not saying to treat your player base like scum, but if you don’t understand the community for the type of game you are making you’re most likely going to miss the mark every time. If game development is still your passion, I wish you well in your future projects, keep thinking of ways to create games that break the mold on traditional genres and hopefully with the proper execution you will be able to create a truly magnificent game.