The official Rend servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

I absolutely hate this

The jump update please no. Please return it to the way it was. I don't want to sit here and type out a long post explaining my reasoning. I'm sure not everyone but a lot will agree this update is not good. I just want to add my name to the list publicly so you devs get an idea of how many people don't like this. Every single game I play I jump everywhere, its muscle memory and the fact that I cant jump everywhere anymore is like stressing me out. Please revert this =(

Comments

• I'd like to see the reasoning for both positions.
  • I guess after I capture this outpost I will give my reasoning
  • Reasons I dislike this update:

- Takes away from the fluidity of the game and feels unnatural.
    - The jump gets so bad that you cant jump at all anymore, you cant even jump onto the curb into the outposts.
    - Huge nerf to double jump and its mobility.
    - That includes: Mob Kiting, Traversing through tricky biomes like Scars and Dread, Custom Pathways made within faction bases and personal bases that require jump pathing, and pvp mobility.
    - Chasing Stags through terrain can make stags even harder to tame, forcing players to have to use broken mechanics like boxing them in around their default pathing areas.
    - Getting into spots that require multiple jumps are not as easy and really slow, meaning setting up for ganks or sieges is gonna take way longer then it should. For Example, On top of trees, up cliff sides, on top of the big logs in the swamp, Stone structures throughout the world, ect.
    - Cant gather the Dread mushroom trees from the top anymore forcing you to get hit with the debuff from chopping them. you can still do it from the top but moving from top to top is going to be so slow its not worth.
    - Using the environment to your advantage in pve as well as pvp is no longer going to be a thing making the fights more stale and slow paced.

The mobility was something I really enjoyed in this game. Slowing down mobility lowers the skill cap. You don't want the skill cap lowered. If this was intended to slow down the game it will do just that but I don't think this is the answer. We can take different routes to slow down the game other then making the players feel tied down. Worse comes to worse at least allow server admins to turn this feature on and off.
  • Why not tie it to stamina if they want to nerf it? No stamina, no jump - it's intuitive & would make stam buffs/perks more interesting.
  • To be fair though, the height in which we could jump made me feel like were were on the moon rather than an earth like map.

It was pretty floaty and arcadey.

I am looking at his list .. and i dont really see a major issue with any of that going away........ I mean one of them is basically an admission of exploiting level geometry to break ai . If anything that seems like a good reason too nerf something
  • exploiting level geometry to break ai

Is that what you call dodging mobs? I'm not really a fan of kite&shoot combat in the first place but face-tanking without melee weapons is even worse.

• To be fair though, the height in which we could jump made me feel like were were on the moon rather than an earth like map.

I am looking at his list .. and i dont really see a major issue with any of that going away........ I mean one of them is basically an admission of exploiting level geometry to break ai . If anything that seems like a good reason too nerf something

so you are playing a game that involves both kidnapping an animals soul to stuff into a meat body as a servant, and the possibility of falling off of the world, as well as a magic tree that spawns ghost/demon things to kill you, and your problem is the lack of realism in jump mechanics.

• Man, just let them kill the game like Red 5 killing FireFall. It's in the nature of former blizzard devs to change their game for the worse. We can hope they're limited work hours can fix this game but it's unlikely sense they're spending some of it on PvE Only servers. When the games original focus was PvP survival and PvE only is being catered too it's a good hint they're going to change the game for worse.

I'm not against PvE mechanics added to the survival PvP gameplay but I'm against it if that's the main focus of the devs time now. The Jotun is something that can add to the PvP survival gameplay as an distraction in the gameplay to give time for players to farm up gear to fight in PvP. There's a problem with what it's going to drop though. It's the power through better gear that gives the winning side too much of advantage over the other factions. It should be a creature that gives harvested spirits instead so players will hunt the Jotun and fight over the rights to be able to harvest them. Making the Jotun boss the most efficient way of spirit farming will create another objective for factions to fight over like the outposts and let players farm up what they need for the next time they wish to fight without other players stopping them from making a comeback.
  • Just a tip for the dread mushroom gathering. Shoot the mushrooms, they release the gas and are disarmed after that.
  • moltecoil wrote: »
    To be fair though, the height in which we could jump made me feel like were were on the moon rather than an earth like map.

so you are playing a game that involves both kidnapping an animals soul to stuff into a meat body as a servant, and the possibility of falling off of the world, as well as a magic tree that spawns ghost/demon things to kill you, and your problem is the lack of realism in jump mechanics.

I see this argument a lot and I dont understand why people make it because the setting and how something feels are two different things

for example in god of war kratos is literally a god. it doesn't get more unrealistic than being a god. that being said midguard in that game still operates by a lot of the rules we see in real life because those rules happen to feel good and natural to us as creatures living on a planet called earth.

The weightiness of gravity feels nautral. So when kratos does something amazing to defy it .. it feels awesome. Can you imagine how much less of an impact his attacks would be if they took twice as long to land? or how much less awesome his feats of strength would be if everyone could do it or if he did it all the time?

They would lose all of the kinetic energy behind them. they would feel bad.

That is the same for the floaty jumping for me. It is less about realism and more that it just did not feel right it felt off. like the uncanny valley for jumping.

People often neglect how important using the familiar is to grounding even the most high concept of fantasy in something we could believe exists.

• Fun fact, real gravity and character jump height generally feel like garbage in video games. How many people do you know who can jump their own height? I'm a reasonably athletic individual, and I'm happy with being able to clear 3 feet. A 6' jump height with normal gravity feels floaty because we aren't supposed to be able to jump that high. So... physics is commonly tweaked to have stronger gravity to compensate for increased jump height.

Salty is right. There's a difference between what *is* right and what *feels* right. Willing suspension of disbelief. The realism isn't as important as feeling right. Now... where I will disagree with Salty is that the jumping actually felt really good to me. I haven't played since the jump changes went in, so I'm not talking about those. I do have to admit... I suspect they're gonna make me really sad. I'm one of those people who just likes to jump in games. Because... why not? Jumping is simply fun. Dating all of way back to the original super mario bros, I jumped. Because why not. I'm afraid this will make my little jumping heart sad. I suspect the goal was to nerf double jump by making the second jump worth less. I feel like the better solution is to simply nerf air jumps...

I actually did the same early on in the development of my current project, the difference between not having double jump and having it was massive, more than what I wanted. So I made the second jump (and all air jumps) less powerful than jumping off the ground.
  • Just so everyone understands. This post was before the reduction to 2 seconds from 6 seconds. I don't mind it being at 2 seconds. I think a little jump indicator bar should be introduced though so you can time the jumps accordingly and have less of a chance to reset those 2 seconds if you jump too early.
  • edited September 2018
    @ VexGamingTV agreed
  • One of the main issues I see and have dealt with is getting away from certain mobs in certain areas such as dreadveil. There are hills that require up to 7 jumps to get up if you don’t miss. Some of these jumps require hitting specific spots at the top of your jump capability. With this change, even after at least 60 hours in the area, and with full resists from silk gear, I can tell you you’ll die from terrain glitches vs your jump capability alone.

you can’t create terrain in a world around the heights of jump capability and the. Take away the ability to jump, if doesn’t work. If anything, like others have said, ie jump to stamina and have each jump just take a chunk of your stamina bar