The official Rend servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Early game with late game pet - How to fix

New tames (and favorite pets) should start off "dead" meaning when you tame something or first have your favorite pet you should have to revive it. Reviving a pet should take a material from that creature at that Tier (Reviving toad from swamp should use a swamp toad material while a toad from higher areas should use a different mat from that area) -- This still gives favorite pets a value of not hunting down the same rating etc but doesn't allow people to use top tier pets at hour 2 of a server start.

Comments

• The rating is the only useful part of pets, doesnt make a lick of difference what zone you tamed it in.
  • Zlax that is patently false , higher tier area pets can harvest higher tier resources long before you have the tools to do so.

This fact can be exploited to get endgame resources .. but more importantly it can be used to farm end game areas for massive quantities of sparks.

It is hilariously over powered.
  • DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    That is the only difference I'm aware of, but it is an important difference. Appropriate limitations need to be placed on pet's harvesting abilities. Honestly they should either harvest: at the tier of the tools the rider has or at the max tier that the faction has. Either of these prevents this particular abuse.
  • DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    In other words, there's no good reason to have pets start off dead. It doesn't actually solve the issue (as a hunting party will simply go to the other zone and do whatever is necessary to hunt those high-tier creatures, even if it means killing them one at a time with half of them dieing, because getting that one pet which can harvest T4 resources will put them hilariously ahead) and it's annoying for people who are taming pets for normal purposes. Pets just need their harvesting potential to appropriately.
  • SaltychipmunkSaltychipmunk ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Which is why i made that thread about putting in proper gating mechanisms . Until they get this sorted . I don't see myself putting more hours into the game. This is simply too exploitable .

Plus it is giving an even larger advantage to those factions that actually won their servers .. since lets face it .. with ap transfer not working .. the only people with ap are those who stayed on a server... usually the winning factions.
  • BlappoSpawnBlappoSpawn ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    mystic research tree is lack luster i suggest gating different pets behind research such as the op stag isnt as op if u cant have them till t3 and the upper tier harvestors at their appropriaye tiers 

this works because most people will be upset if u nerf stags but they need it bad , this way it is balanced and strong

Cigars keep me sane
  • DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    I think it is FK's intention to have all of the various mounts as 'separate but equal' options. Each will have a purpose and use, some will be better for specific tasks, and others may just simply fit different people's playstyles better. No need to gate them behind research, it just takes time to get the balance down right.
  • well then stags need to lose a TON of carry weight high end,stags hold like 500+ pounds tons of stamina and are supper fast vs high end wolves have less of every stat no balancing i compared to see if there was any benefit to using things besides stags. the only thing is t4 raptor because it damage ia high
    Cigars keep me sane
  • DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    T4 and T1 Draak have the same damage. The only advantage a T4 draak has over a T1 is it's ability to harvest. Wolves are actually fairly good PvE dps. They have an insane attack speed unmounted that can take out a lot of stuff without an issue.

Don't get me wrong, my wolf needs some love. Wildcats are effectively superior in almost every way from my testing. More health, more stamina, more carry weight. I think wolves have *slightly* higher dps, but I don't think it's anywhere near enough to make up for the other stats. I'm not actually certain where wolves and cats sit on actual running speed though.

Stags might be a little overpowered at the moment, but as I said: that's a balancing issue. I'm a much bigger fan of giving it time and an appropriate set of buffs/nerfs to put each mount in it's rightful place than I am of just gating off certain mounts and recognizing "these mounts are OP and you have to wait until later in the game to get them"
  • Well wolves are balanced as mobs first.. gotta take into account that they apply "deep wounds" and can come in packs of 3 in the later areas.

cat do neither.. and therefore need better stats to make them feel as dangerous.

Which honestly .. even with the better stats .. wolves are far more annoying than the cats
  • DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    In the end I expect their stats as enemy mobs and their stats as pets are unrelated. (aside from the fact that thematically they'll be similar in principle). Otherwise there would be no effective way to balance them. As a mob, wolves can be designed to be less powerful but spawn in groups (like banshees), but since you're not allowed to have multiple pets out they've gotta be useful as a single creature.
  • Monsters have different stats tamed and wild, they also only scale with rating not with what zone they have been tamed in. The only difference is the tier of materials they can harvest, but that would be really simpel to fix by just limiting it to whatever tool is the best thats currently available to the faction. (like Darinth suggested)
  • Darinth wrote: »
    In other words, there's no good reason to have pets start off dead. It doesn't actually solve the issue (as a hunting party will simply go to the other zone and do whatever is necessary to hunt those high-tier creatures, even if it means killing them one at a time with half of them dieing, because getting that one pet which can harvest T4 resources will put them hilariously ahead) and it's annoying for people who are taming pets for normal purposes. Pets just need their harvesting potential to appropriately.

If you read the other portion of it... having the tamed mob revival require a harvested drop from that same tier mob would limit it... If you need a higher tier skinning drop it limits the immediate rush so that not only do they have to kamikaze kill that higher tier mob but they have to be able to harvest that drop
  • edited August 2018
    what about this solution,

you get to keep your favored pet, and he does not start out dead, but on a new saga all pets start off at lvl 1, (but they keep their pet rating) then tie which tier resource they can gather based on pet level. in addition, the pet can never be higher level then the master.

problem solved
  • First day of of new saga:

Pleb 1: Hey guys, ive been harvesting these pretty yellowflowers n got a few sparks, where do they go?
    VS
    SuperDopeAlphaProBro: FCK YEAH, 2Bazzillion sparks in one run

As someone mentioned it needs gating, and it needs to be tied into the progression of the game from the start through to the finish.

Some examples:
    Lock resource harvesting to current research tier regardless of pet
    Perk system for pets, as they get more experience, they get to unlock abilities ( if anything something similar to skills). You want to harvest the T4 resources you gotta put the leg work in.
    Tie taming and animal tiers to current level of the relevant mysticism taming research (You might have a T4 Frog, but it is effectively a T1 pet till all the appropriate research has been made) Might actually make that taming research useful.

Sure there's a whole ton of different ideas that could be thrown at this, but right now, its just down broken that we have people pulling in thousands of sparks solo in the opening stages of a saga.

(Also I don't want to hear anything about how it would be difficult to tame a t4 pet. Even if had to be tamed, a dedicated group can go out to t4, build a box and sling god knows how many rough arrows to kill it n tame it. Just that time investment alone pushes you well ahead of any faction if they haven't already done the same.)