The official Rend servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

First Impression

I'm happy I got the alpha invite. I downloaded Rend today and logged on to check things out real quick. Here are my impressions with the first hour and things I noticed.

1) No hint to use Alt to access mouse arrow

2) Melons are basically useless. The hunger and hydration you restored from eating 2-3 melon pieces is almost nil.

3) The Basic Survival Simple Bow and Rough Arrows are bunk. The bow will break before you kill anything around the starting area. If it's that trashy, just take it out of the game.

4) Where's water?

5) Can't kill anything, can't eat meat, starving. Very fun.

6) Trying to search through the crafting UI to find a way to make a stronger weapon. Oh, I can't. I need a Roughwood Bows Station. Can't figure out if I need to craft this or it's located somewhere.

7) Died trying to kill a pig before I starved.

Around this time after respawning, my ping jumped up to 300+ ms so I changed servers and started over just to run around. Headed across the big field to what I was guessing was the Revenant base. I could see a large purple glow but that was it. Got to the base, trying to use the Sawmill to make roughwood logs. Couldn't figure out what was happening with the progress bars filling. At this point I got bored and logged out.

It wasn't a very fun experience. I was floundering right after logging in and bored by when I figured out I couldn't kill anything with the basic survival gear. I'll log in later and take stuff from the Revenant base for free since I can't do anything for myself.

On another note, the server filters lack a Ping option.

Comments

• Sounds dead on like my experience trying this iteration of the alpha - and I've been playing since pre-alpha with some ideas of how it worked already. You're not alone in your feedback. Hopefully they fix things up with the addition of the actual tutorial soon.
  • Wouldnt agree with mentioned Points because this game is a Survival game. Which means that it is part of the game that you have to figure out how to Survive and Progress in this world. If they would tell you how all the things work it wouldnt make any fun to play because whats the matter of getting a first bow that is able to kill everything around you. And it is easily possible to kill things with this Bow. If u would have crafted this Bow more than once you would have figured out that u get a better Version of it. It is in the nature of an Survival game that you have to figure out how it works instead of getting all the things told.
  • XenoXeno ✭✭
    1.) Agree with the alt key and many other things where the information is just not there.

2.) melons are meant to be useless. They are meant as a hotfix at best not a quick solution to fill your hunger as you can farm meat.

3.) The first simlbe bow you craft is called flimsy bow ( a fail craft) It even says in the desciption that it will break soon.
    keep making simple bows and you eventually get a real simple bow that lasts a lot longer.
    Then team up with someone and start taking down boars. The gruntlings dont even fight back so easy kills.
    I saw a group of 6 kill an Yxen with simple bows and arrows so its defently not a problem.
    Also they patched the food and water drain down.

4.) directly next ( south) of base a very big pound. North west another pound nearby and North east a bit further away another pound. There are more smaller pounds around the starting location if you look for them.

5.) Team up, kill a lot, gain a lot of meat and that is even fun.

6.)The station names are old and the UI needs an update. The adventure building is where you go to craft new weapons.

7.) see number 5

The game does not handhold you. That doesnt mean you cant figure it out in a short time. Pretty mutch every veteran from Pre alpha and alpha had to do that and its not that hard. Just do 1 thing at a time instat of trying to memorizing all the game mechanics.

You can also ask your faction for help or ask the newbie help channel on alpha discord.
    The best way to start is usally to try to communicate with your team, setup a discord or teamspeak channel and slowly build up your base as you figure out what does what.
  • I'm not a fan of the food system currently either.

It's ridiculous when your first starting out, then once you have a decent weapon it's only a minor inconvenience. They need more and better food options.... Not just food with different buffs, but different meat quality. If they are going to add a food and water system to the game then they need to actually do something with it, rather than just make it a time tax.
  • It sounds like others have had similar experiences to myself when first getting into the game. Bear in mind, I'm not asking for hand-holding throughout the game. I don't want that either, I want to explore and be surprised.

However, the points I'm highlighting are serious matters for game developers. Other people are going to try this game for the first time and if the very first initial starter area has a lot of things that turn people off, they're gonna log off with a poor impression too. The starter area or initial login spot should be teaching you the basics of what to expect but there should also be little steps of gain or reward and I don't mean getting levels in woodworking, herbalism, or whatever. That stuff makes sense further along in play time but in that first hour, it doesn't really mean squat. I guarantee you, someone will want to log in, look around, attempt to get some food and water, make the survival clothing, and attempt to kill something. That's not what the game experience provides. I admit there is some bias because I do want to teach myself everything simply by interaction but the game is lacking in that area and I wanted to give the devs something to work with.

Regarding the basic bow, when it says it will break soon, what indication do I have that making more bows will make a better one? There is a pop-up window that says sometimes you will critically succeed at your craft but that is nebulous.
  • NotApacheNotApache
    edited July 2018
    There is also a popup that says you will sometimes fail your craft, and that you need to re-craft certain items to become skilled in them. A little bit of reading goes a long way. The series of popups that happen as you play through the first few hours are definitely more than enough to teach you the very basic ideas of what it means to survive in the world of Rend.

However, the big stones that are situated around the starting spawn area also provide additional tutorial, and there needs to be some kind of a notification that this is a feature, because I'm willing to bet the majority of players will never even know it exists.
  • I found some of the pop-ups come a bit late like after you have struggled clicking lots of things - it will be like "oh you can un-dock your mouse to click these boxes" or even the "crafting doesn't always work first time" - they both came about 3-4hrs in

I agree with you Uziel, i was getting a bit turned off initially, i mean i don't need hand holding but just a quick bit of basics on gathering, killing etc. That starting zone should give you the basics but i felt like i was running around like a headless chicken.

The station names definitely need updating as soon as before EA release as that had me running around a bit wondering what the "Storage Station" was.

ITs a good game just needs a bit of a tweak here and there - and deffo before EA release otherwise people will be turning off.
  • I didn't have any issues with food or water, but I can see why people would. Still, the game isn't any different than other survival games I've played in that regard, however. The melons were enough for me until I killed a pig and made a campfire. Like most survival games, there isn't much guidance from the game itself when comes to figuring out what to do to progress. My faction on my server has been very helpful when I've had questions.
  • JaiteJaite
    edited July 2018
    Xeno wrote: »
    1.) Agree with the alt key and many other things where the information is just not there.

2.) melons are meant to be useless. They are meant as a hotfix at best not a quick solution to fill your hunger as you can farm meat.

3.) The first simlbe bow you craft is called flimsy bow ( a fail craft) It even says in the desciption that it will break soon.
    keep making simple bows and you eventually get a real simple bow that lasts a lot longer.
    Then team up with someone and start taking down boars. The gruntlings dont even fight back so easy kills.
    I saw a group of 6 kill an Yxen with simple bows and arrows so its defently not a problem.
    Also they patched the food and water drain down.

4.) directly next ( south) of base a very big pound. North west another pound nearby and North east a bit further away another pound. There are more smaller pounds around the starting location if you look for them.

5.) Team up, kill a lot, gain a lot of meat and that is even fun.

6.)The station names are old and the UI needs an update. The adventure building is where you go to craft new weapons.

7.) see number 5

The game does not handhold you. That doesnt mean you cant figure it out in a short time. Pretty mutch every veteran from Pre alpha and alpha had to do that and its not that hard. Just do 1 thing at a time instat of trying to memorizing all the game mechanics.

You can also ask your faction for help or ask the newbie help channel on alpha discord.
    The best way to start is usally to try to communicate with your team, setup a discord or teamspeak channel and slowly build up your base as you figure out what does what.

I think you miss the point of his 'first impressions'. The first impression is going to determine whether or not he continues to play the game or support the game by buying it. Much like our wonderful world, where hard to use technologies will make or break your business. If the UI is not simple enough, if your features are not easily understandable and if your product has no direction or focus, no one is going to pay to spend time 'figuring out what you intended it for' and how it works when they can find something else that can fix or satisfy the same purpose but in a much clearer and simplistic way.

Look at companies like Apple that solely focus on the experience of the consumer. They make products they want to have themselves and use. It's entirely easy to use, understandable for even the most untech savvy person, and they keep it simple to allow their customers to get a good experience.

Imagine if every game or product required you to go out and set up your own local servers, or the similar concepts of a raspberry pi. No one would want that unless the service was extremely easy to use and setup. Anyways I've made my point.

The bigger picture is, everyone wants a good interesting game without all the trash that comes with it. "Trash" as in bad features that serve no purpose or little purpose or features that aren't providing significant content. Having to wait to team up will almost instantly kill off your entire population when you're spending more time waiting around rather than playing. These are just a few basic things I see right off the bat that they should take back to the drawing room. Besides that, how OP felt was/is exactly how I felt. The game severely lacks in direction and focus to the point where you're just sitting in the game doing nothing or lost because it requires a heap of coordination from people that play for their own enjoyment, or are doing their own thing. It may be a team game, but the synergy needs to incentivize coming together.

But I don't know what the devs intentions/limitations are, I'm simply trending the waters.
  • I agree with the food issue, we need the drain to be much less. Right now it's nothing but a pain. Leave the requirement of good food to the people using skills that drain food and water.

There is also a naming issue, some items require stations which doesn't exists under the names it says.
  • 1. If you turn off the UI, buttons like escape do not work so you cannot see what button it is to turn it back on. 
    2. No push to talk button listed?
    3. How am I suppose to guess that chat commands? Can't find them anywhere in game...
    4. Tutorial is quite worthless all it tells you is game commands that are already listed in the key bindings. It should teach you about some of the games inner workings that you can't find elsewhere. 
    Not really user friendly especially to new users. Might scare people away that do not want to search a forum for hours for answers?
  • I do not think the matter here is about how this game sells and the overall impression with it, but more about the game play in the first hours, so I will try to get the focus on that again.

- I personally did not have huge problems of starting my way into the game, but that is only because I know some survival games already and the basics are quiet similar.
    - Getting water and especially getting food was quiet hard in the beginning, but I think it was reasonable and adds positively to the survival feature. On the other hand there is too much nutritional food in the late game, so therefor I think there should be another sort of "slow and easy to get"-food for the early game, which is appearing not as often as melons but therefor is giving a little bit more nutritions (I dont know. E.g. sort of a giant bug or sth.) Beside that, I think fewer mobs and a lower food/materials ratio or a lower nutritional value of high-end foods are giving food a more important meaning in the late game. Maybe a farming feature would give the game a whole different turn in terms of food supplies.
    - The food and water drainage is okay, as it should play an important role in this game and water and food supplies should be a big part in the fraction organization.
    - The food variaty is also good enough in my opinion, but there should be options to make the food even more durable, for a longterm storage (maybe a week). In terms of balance, the nutritional value of these longterm durable foods may then be reduced.

- I think the tutorial right now is quiet minimalistic. The given information can be seen as mentioned already in the key bindings. A more extensive "how to"-button or a separate tutorial could help a lot to get started and also for the later game. General Infos like "craft more to get better" are mostly not obvious for survival-game-beginners.

I hope I could help somehow with my opinion to it.

~OldGuard
  • I was having quite a bad start. Wandered off into the near woods and died to a wolf because he literally chases you twice around the globe because he does not break aggro. Tried to retrieve my corpse 5 times because I had plenty of materials. Very frustrating.
    The first bow is basically good for nothing. I definetly won´t take down a wolf, the one thing that will aggro you. And there are usually around two with quite an aggro range around the only water source for beginner players.

Combat is horrible and clunky. Once a wolf is in melee distance you are basically screwed. If you for some reason manage to kill him the debuff will screw you over. Unless you already crafted bandages. But you need Goldpoppy for that. Took me 30 minutes and the faction to figure out those golden flowers are goldpoppy. Overall the resource drain for most things is enormous. Sure, its fast and easy to gather but you spend 5 minutes farming mats to craft 5 bandages.

Overall the amount of things to do in the beginning is overwhelming. Finding water was not that much of a problem. Food is. Melons are bad and killing something for meat (which will give you food poisoning) is near impossible at start. Even if you got meat you gotta be lucky to have a near campfire to cook it. But you see the mats you need for that - no problem. But hey, meat just spoiled - okay, learned something new. So what is that plant scrap? Ah, my poppy spoils as well. Amazing. Sparks of insight? What are these for? God knows. Oooops, gotta drink again. Dang, aggroed the wolf. Bow broke, fml. Too much at once. Once you´re at your base and got decent gear it all gets better but playing this game for the first time is very off-turning.

Also the sheer amount of materials is ridiculous. You can´t have enough containers for all of them. And it gets more the further you go into the world. Even after 30 hours played I don´t know if all the 3, 4, 5, 6 sorts of meat I can get from a wolf or boar serve a special purpose or are totally interchangeable in the long run. Do I have to keep that stuff or can I toss it out?
    We can´t possible have enough containers to keep all the stuff.

Did I talk about combat? I´m level 22 and still do not dare going for more than 2 enemies at once and only if they are at least 6 levels below. Once they reach you you are screwed. Aiming is horrible. Weapon swap fails when walking back - which you always do. Each time I gotta reload I get a mini heart attack because I think my weapon broke.

I like the game. A lot. But unless you know what you do (the game is no help at explaining anything really) you will have a very bad start. Or you join a very pro and organzied server that helps you out in the beginning. But having a server full of newbies is bound to be a catastrophe.

• edited July 2018
    to be totally honest. This game reminded me of playing Star Wars Galaxies when it first released in that you started the game with nothing and had no clue what to do. And it came with an instruction manual that was 100 pages of useless garbage! I lived on melons for most of the weekend. I'd equip the scythe and hold the mouse button as i ran past patches because I didn't know you needed the camp fire to cook the meats from the piggies!! (until this morning).

I agree 1000% about the tooltips for crafting. At least have a .pdf instruction manual that gives you the basics of what to do maybe. I really hate relying on youtube videos to figure out I needed to press "B" to build my mansion. Or that you needed to press "R" to convert a wall into a door then upgrade that door frame to get an actual door. But now that I know, it seems trivial sort of.

I'm glad the game didn't hold my hand like the post-WoW mmos, but the learning curve was huge for me and appreciated the veterans in chat that helped others out with keyboard bindings and such.