The Rend Early Access servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Suggestions and Issues from an exploration perspective

I am currently playing Exploration mode, on the official Silent Woods. I am at end game with pretty much everything researched and after reaching this point i feel confident that i understand the general balance problems that exploration mode currently faces. I do understand that it is early days for rend and i did play in the original single gamemode version on Blackoak so i have seen the game change significantly and i see the effort the team is putting in. i also acknowledge that exploration is not the primary focus for game modes currently so with that in mind i will try to be as constructive as possible with my suggestions.

The spark economy in exploration needs a significant balance change, the early game seems in a fairly good place although not having a reset means that i have spent a comparably small amount of time in the early game. The late game however is just too much, every large creature in yggdrasil gives you 500+ of its corresponding spark. Meaning that for the late game researches you only need to kill 4 or so things to achieve them, this makes the late game which should in theory be the longest and most rewarding part of the game to keep players invested for a significant amount of time, feel rushed and not much of a challenge, and once you have finished a tree completely, sparks have no use yet you still continue to amass tens of thousands of them.

Creatures in Yggdrasil do an inconsistent and occasionally absurd amount of damage. Currently with valhallan skin, Gjallahorn buff, and hearthfur i have well over 2400 armour, Rockjaws in yggdrasil will occasionally reduce me to less than 1/4 health with 1 attack. Glutts are not something i can reliably take on solo as even with Nidhoggs fang giving me 90% reduced poison damage and the amount of armour i have they can still reliably 3 shot me with their ranged attack. to put that into perspective glutts in dreadveil deal almost no damage to me with the same setup. I feel like the damage of creatures across all zones needs to be reworked to feel like a smooth but challenging progression

Lower tier adhesives need a recipe overhaul, adhesive paste requires 1000 goldpoppy per 100 crafted without crits. this means that for mid tier crafts especially ammo, staying at that tier for any period of time is inefficient as moving on to the next tier is generally cheaper and less time consuming to make. This is the same for recipes requiring amber paste.

The crafting skills Adventuring, Construction, Invention, Mysticism are exceeding slow to progress, and there is no reliable way to increase them anymore. for example at endgame my skills are 8, 7, 8, 8, Respectively. i have gone through the entire progression of the game and not yet reached level 10 in any of them. moreover some of these skills are incredibly useful in the early tiers of the game, for example fletcher in the adventuring skill line. It is just not viable or even possible to reach these milestones at a point in the game at which they are relevant. I can not honestly imagine ever reaching 25 in any of these skills let alone the final tier at 50. and the skills provided at these tiers are honestly not worth the wait or effort in attempting to focus on trying to get them.

The talent point trees need to be reworked, each point should feel significant but also feel like a choice, by getting something you are foregoing something else, I am PVE focused as i am in exploration, and i am pathfinder/shaman. at level 41 i can safely say that i have put points into everything that is relevant. if i were somehow to gain another 55 levels none of the nodes i could put points into would help me or even really affect my experience at all, i would put them in purely for the passive gained. this lack of compromise between nodes that are significant generally means that i have 5/5 in one line and nothing in any of the others, and it means every talent point i gain from now on is irrelevant.

Conjuring stones are too powerful,, kind of useless. They give you far too much of materials that honestly have no consistent consumable use with the exception of divinite for ammo, 1 day after putting down a metal conjuring stone i had over 1000 divinite just by logging in, the other stones give similar quantity of materials with the exception of wood however there's no real use for 1000 stone every day or 1000 iron or skyfall or dross especially as crafting these requires you to be at least at t4 areas, so generally you are past the point of requiring large amounts of these materials and if you aren't past that point. after making them you will be in a few hours.

Some relics/artifacts drops are absurdly powerful while others are less than useful and in fact wearing them can be a detriment, others drop so frequently that you end up with chests full of them while rarely or never seeing the more useful ones. Relics should feel powerful and rewarding, I enjoy getting them and overall they improve my experience. but getting my 15th drop of something that is so underwhelming is a disappointment. All drops should be brought in line to be equally strong as others, however they definitely need a durability, and should not be repairable. for example between warmarch and zorans treads i can sprint forever at 40% increased movement speed, i can equip other items whenever i need to and put these back on after, i will never lose this synergy, i never have to make a choice about when to use these. Using relics should be a choice, a powerful item that has limited use. The lantern of hope is an excellent guide, it has 750 durability, i rarely need to use it, but when i turn it on it is incredibly useful to heal back up to full over a short period of time. mine is currently at 629 durability. it will not last forever and i do not currently have another.

I Hope this provides some insight into the current state of exploration mode. I will continue to post more constructive suggestions over time. if anyone has any questions or needs clarification on things feel free to message me.

Comments

• DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    Aemon wrote: »
    Lower tier adhesives need a recipe overhaul, adhesive paste requires 1000 goldpoppy per 100 crafted without crits. this means that for mid tier crafts especially ammo, staying at that tier for any period of time is inefficient as moving on to the next tier is generally cheaper and less time consuming to make. This is the same for recipes requiring amber paste.

Mostly just going to say agree with this. Goldpoppy is one of those incredibly annoying things because you regularly have to clear through the entirely of hearthholm in order to maintain enough for all of the things it can be used for. I'm more than anything just inclined to say goldpoppy needs a (potentially significant) buff to drop rates.
    The crafting skills Adventuring, Construction, Invention, Mysticism are exceeding slow to progress, and there is no reliable way to increase them anymore. for example at endgame my skills are 8, 7, 8, 8, Respectively. i have gone through the entire progression of the game and not yet reached level 10 in any of them. moreover some of these skills are incredibly useful in the early tiers of the game, for example fletcher in the adventuring skill line. It is just not viable or even possible to reach these milestones at a point in the game at which they are relevant. I can not honestly imagine ever reaching 25 in any of these skills let alone the final tier at 50. and the skills provided at these tiers are honestly not worth the wait or effort in attempting to focus on trying to get them.

While I've intentionally not made it to end game, I've made it to T3 on multiple occasions and have consistently noticed the same. I was hoping it might change later on, but this is consistent with my experience. The only notable exception here is with Adventuring, which last I checked got leveled by making ammo and I have a tendency to make a lot of it which levels it up decently... but even then it lags behind everything else.
    The talent point trees need to be reworked, each point should feel significant but also feel like a choice, by getting something you are foregoing something else, I am PVE focused as i am in exploration, and i am pathfinder/shaman. at level 41 i can safely say that i have put points into everything that is relevant. if i were somehow to gain another 55 levels none of the nodes i could put points into would help me or even really affect my experience at all, i would put them in purely for the passive gained. this lack of compromise between nodes that are significant generally means that i have 5/5 in one line and nothing in any of the others, and it means every talent point i gain from now on is irrelevant.

Talent trees are gonna need a lot of love at some point I think. I feel like part of the issue here is that they have 'PvP' talents and 'PvE/utility' talents... and I think it's a terrible idea. I think every talent should have benefits both in PvE and PvP. Splitting up characters along this dichotomy is actually just frustrating.
    Conjuring stones are too powerful,, kind of useless. They give you far too much of materials that honestly have no consistent consumable use with the exception of divinite for ammo, 1 day after putting down a metal conjuring stone i had over 1000 divinite just by logging in, the other stones give similar quantity of materials with the exception of wood however there's no real use for 1000 stone every day or 1000 iron or skyfall or dross especially as crafting these requires you to be at least at t4 areas, so generally you are past the point of requiring large amounts of these materials and if you aren't past that point. after making them you will be in a few hours.

Some relics/artifacts drops are absurdly powerful while others are less than useful and in fact wearing them can be a detriment, others drop so frequently that you end up with chests full of them while rarely or never seeing the more useful ones. Relics should feel powerful and rewarding, I enjoy getting them and overall they improve my experience. but getting my 15th drop of something that is so underwhelming is a disappointment. All drops should be brought in line to be equally strong as others, however they definitely need a durability, and should not be repairable. for example between warmarch and zorans treads i can sprint forever at 40% increased movement speed, i can equip other items whenever i need to and put these back on after, i will never lose this synergy, i never have to make a choice about when to use these. Using relics should be a choice, a powerful item that has limited use. The lantern of hope is an excellent guide, it has 750 durability, i rarely need to use it, but when i turn it on it is incredibly useful to heal back up to full over a short period of time. mine is currently at 629 durability. it will not last forever and i do not currently have another.

As I said, haven't ever made it to end-game, so I can't really speak on the conjuring stones and I've not done a play-through since artifacts came out. I should fix that at some point... but there are so many games... I don't have time to play them all... </whining>
  • Aemon wrote: »
    Creatures in Yggdrasil do an inconsistent and occasionally absurd amount of damage. Currently with valhallan skin, Gjallahorn buff, and hearthfur i have well over 2400 armour, Rockjaws in yggdrasil will occasionally reduce me to less than 1/4 health with 1 attack. Glutts are not something i can reliably take on solo as even with Nidhoggs fang giving me 90% reduced poison damage and the amount of armour i have they can still reliably 3 shot me with their ranged attack. to put that into perspective glutts in dreadveil deal almost no damage to me with the same setup. I feel like the damage of creatures across all zones needs to be reworked to feel like a smooth but challenging progression

The creatures are not suppose to hit you in melee. Kite and use the enviroment to kill them. Depending on the season you can't wear that much armor anyway. Use the double jump boots to get on a crystal and kill stuff.

Glutt's are very easy to kill, just hit them and hide behind something to avoid the range attack. As far as I know they don't do any poison damage, so nidhoggs fang is useless. The spear relic with extra dmg is the best.

Honestly I already have level 80-90 in these. You level them automatically when you turn in sparks. Also use the relic that gives you 50% more xp/skillxp.

During a harvest season in the ygdrassil biome you get about 1200-1300 mystic sparks from a turtle or a raptor. Way too much compared to the others.

After farming just for half an hour with harvesting potion and the harvesting gloves artifact. I had about 15k mystic sparks. This needs balancing. It's worse than before when the sparks came from harvesting resources.

In my opinion the spark source needs to be both, killing animals and harvesting resources. Just a middle thing so you can't abuse either one.

• Jasonx wrote: »
    Honestly I already have level 80-90 in these. You level them automatically when you turn in sparks. Also use the relic that gives you 50% more xp/skillxp.

I have a very hard time believing you have level 80-90 in these. in Exploration mode, you do level them automatically when you turn in sparks yes, but you can only turn in once for each research node and there just aren't enough research nodes to level you that high even with all the xp buffs in the world. Even levelling invention by crafting ammo, you can craft tens of thousands of divinite ammo and barely even make significant progress in a level.

Please share your secrets to levelling these skills in exploration mode as i am clearly missing something if you are level 90 and i am level 8 at end game with all research and all gear.
  • Aemon wrote: »
    Please share your secrets to levelling these skills in exploration mode as i am clearly missing something if you are level 90 and i am level 8 at end game with all research and all gear.

Ok I have this in the faction war mode and didnt know there is a difference to exploration research. At the endgame when you turn in about 20-25k sparks you get tons of skill experience, thats how i get so high levels.

• Exploration is very different balance wise to Faction war, while they seem similar they each face an entirely separate set of issues.