The Rend Early Access servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Warg Changes are Annoying

Yeah. I know it's a game in development, but these changes move play in a direction that is tedious and boring.

So, you increased the ability of wolves to track? Yeah well, now we can't dodge them at all and must face tank each one of one of the most common creatures in the game. Nice buff to wounds, too. Too bad all the materials for making bandages are back in the starting zones, eh? Would hate for this to be convenient, wouldn't you?

I noticed you managed to make traps work on mobs now... for two seconds. One shot. Not even worth the resources to craft. Dross metal is heavy, you know? Of course you do, you designed it that way.

I'm completely ignoring the comment about reducing damage, because it appears wrong. Even if it's true, the new wounds add what amounts to a great deal more damage to engaging a wolf.

Now let's get on to the detection changes, because those are just glorious. I am constantly surrounded by growling wolves. I cannot see them. I rarely even hear that howl that signals the beginning of aggro. I just see them jump down the cliff face at me. The growl is pretty useless when you can't even see the wolf, which may have just walked in behind you. Don't worry, it will have locked on to you and brought every other wolf in an area about as large as the Conclave starting area. More friends! Isn't that grand?

Well, no. It really isn't. It means that chances are I will get locked onto by any wolf in the area, and if I want to do anything other than run away, I will need to kill it, which costs time and even more resources than before.

The wolves provided a nice annoyance previously, encouraging players in the tier 2 to tier 3 range to sneak past them to avoid expending resources. Now they are constantly chasing the player, and it is fatal if you escape from one group of wolves only to run into another when you've expended your stamina. It is now a resource expenditure to simply travel.

So it's annoying. Annoying enough to discourage me from playing. Especially now that those hillcats can handily outrun a pathfinder with all his movement speed buffs. That's fun getting two shot while running away from something that was behind a hill when it locked on to you.

Comments

• I agree, also personally I find that the Wargs reappear too often and too quickly, not giving me enough time to harvest my resources around my camp.
  • Aggro on many things has been beefed up to be annoying,....

Not only that, The Lost in The Reckoning are over-tuned.... insta-gibbing walls and people. I had an Armor Rating of 1,394 and STILL got two-shotted!!!!!

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Reckoning wasn't that before. Whoever had these ideas... they need to be punched in the face... repeatedly... and NEVER be allowed to have another idea again!!!!
  • I have to agree with you on this one. I start making any action that produces any sound whatsoever and the wargs all hear it and just come to kill me. It has gotten very tedious and I wish that the wargs weren't so annoying.
  • FrumpylumpsFrumpylumps ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Mortavius wrote: »
    Aggro on many things has been beefed up to be annoying,....

Not only that, The Lost in The Reckoning are over-tuned.... insta-gibbing walls and people. I had an Armor Rating of 1,394 and STILL got two-shotted!!!!!

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Reckoning wasn't that before. Whoever had these ideas... they need to be punched in the face... repeatedly... and NEVER be allowed to have another idea again!!!!

Take it easy... Just a guess but the NPCs probably ignore armor. Dark resist?

I also find it annoying how things aggro from so far away when you are fighting other creatures.
  • I like the way they growl from far away.

I find that their growling gives me plenty of warning and I can easily avoid them.

The only problem I have with Wargs is that they are so often climbing up trees and getting stuck in places or letting me stuff them full of arrows while they circle me without actually attacking.

I totally disagree that they are too dangerous or too hard.

In my opinion they give plenty of warning and do are not too dangerous at all. They are supposed to be giant wolves! The trouble is only their navigation and passivity once I start to shoot them (not them being faster and more direct to attack me).
  • I have been paying special attention to this, and a couple of times more than one came at me and it was in the open so they did not climb up trees. It worked really well. It was as if they were working together to surround me. That was probably by chance...

The warning growls are very nice and give plenty of warning to stop to fight just the one, or to sneak away and not fight at all.

The fact that they seem attracted by combat is excellent, as that means that if you are fighting you may pull one in from the blood and guts of the fight.

The fact that they do not just rush at you is excellent, if only it worked better... When they are circling around a hill or through cover, it works. When they are in the open and I am sticking arrows in them, then the circling seems like a suicidal move on their part (as they are not attacking, just being shot as circling).

The "fear" seemed a couple times to impact my pet, but I never notice anything when I am afraid.

p.s. It is good, as it always has been, that as we get much much higher in level, they don't run at us to die.