The Rend Early Access servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Some observations that I hope development staff considers. - Would love community input too!

A few thoughts I'd like to toss out there if anyone would like to chime in whether they disagree or agree would be great, get a discussion going.

The biggest issue I think a lot of people would agree on if not everyone is the population of the servers. You currently have 50+ servers with an average population of 40-60 people playing all at once, figure in time zones maybe 100-150? I truly don't know, I'm out here in California on PSTern and it feels pretty empty. Take down a good 75% - 85% of your servers, choking down the amount of selection for new comers such as myself to consider a server that already has people playing on it, instead of spreading an already thin player base across the 50+ server board.

Reckoning servers I was recently playing on one with the Order team. 7PM reckoning time came around there was 8 of us and 0 for the other 2 teams. We defended our base with ease then proceeded to the other 2 enemy's bases where my teammates began to pillage there loot, which I get if there was a population to defend it wouldn't of had happened that easily, or maybe they'd get away taking some loot, the enemy would come back and salvage what was remaining. Being that here was no one to defend my team proceeded to destroy as much as they could of the enemy base, so assuming anyone was still playing [Just not on at reckoning time] they'd get to return to a base with limited to no loot and a giant repair bill to follow just to get going, personally that would be enough for me to just be done with that server and walk away, leaving it to 1 team running around gearing up for... nothing? Where is the fun if no one is playing against or with you.

Regarding logging out and spirits it appears if you have no divinity stone down your base slowly starts to deteriorate, love the idea of that, killing off any idle bases that someone may of abandon and didn't put much effort in. What I do disagree with here is assuming you got a base up and running, your divinity stone everything seems tight and cozy then you get raided over night, I get it, its a pvp server but what I don't agree with is the pillaging of the spirits, from what I've observed is it basically kills you and you spawn at the newbie area with 0 loot, there is no way to safely log out whether in your base or you saw the enemy coming so you high tailed it. If this is the case why does your character stay online for limited about of time when you log off, forcing you to be observant to where you log off yet afterwards when you do get the boot someone can simply come by, hit F and your done? I don't know if allowing the player to keep all the loot they had at log off point after they turn into a spirit is the right action but I feel there should be an adjustment.

My last one is a tough one because I can see it going against the spirit of the pvp servers, I've seen some threads come up about how a T4 can slaughter anyone geared under them quite easily and be hard to take down. Now this is just a thought and maybe it could be organized in a different manner assuming it was implemented but consider anyone who is T4 can only -raid- those who are T4 or partially through the T3 ability's, make it a skill point from T3 mid way to T4 where it says hey you wanna start advancing into T4? You got to dump some sparks / point into this, soon as you do it opens you up to the T4 game. So assuming someone T1 - 3 is running around and killed by a T4, fair game, its open hunting world but they can at least run back to there base with resources knowing they can stock up again and go about there business differently knowing a T4 guy is running around pestering you.

Comments

• Oceanlab wrote: »
    A few thoughts I'd like to toss out there if anyone would like to chime in whether they disagree or agree would be great, get a discussion going.

The biggest issue I think a lot of people would agree on if not everyone is the population of the servers. You currently have 50+ servers with an average population of 40-60 people playing all at once, figure in time zones maybe 100-150? I truly don't know, I'm out here in California on PSTern and it feels pretty empty. Take down a good 75% - 85% of your servers, choking down the amount of selection for new comers such as myself to consider a server that already has people playing on it, instead of spreading an already thin player base across the 50+ server board.

https://steamcharts.com/app/547860 There's some hard data for you, just as a reference. FK is aware of the need to consolidate servers and are planning to do so already. The cross-server ascension system was the first step in the process of some needed changes, but it still has some issues. I'm pretty sure that once they know that AP migration has actually been fully successful, they'll go through and shut down most of the servers.
    Reckoning servers I was recently playing on one with the Order team. 7PM reckoning time came around there was 8 of us and 0 for the other 2 teams. We defended our base with ease then proceeded to the other 2 enemy's bases where my teammates began to pillage there loot, which I get if there was a population to defend it wouldn't of had happened that easily, or maybe they'd get away taking some loot, the enemy would come back and salvage what was remaining. Being that here was no one to defend my team proceeded to destroy as much as they could of the enemy base, so assuming anyone was still playing [Just not on at reckoning time] they'd get to return to a base with limited to no loot and a giant repair bill to follow just to get going, personally that would be enough for me to just be done with that server and walk away, leaving it to 1 team running around gearing up for... nothing? Where is the fun if no one is playing against or with you.

Parts of this will be fixed with server consolidation. Parts of this will be fixed with general game improvements making gameplay in general more enjoyable (and thus increasing server populations) Parts of this may need some changes to exactly how much and how extensive the base destruction can be. There are a lot of factors, though I generally agree with you and server populations after these kinds of events tend to agree: having a faction base wiped might as well be faction death in the current system. Nobody wants to try to come back from such extensive damage. Once the server populations are healthier though, a complete base wipe will be far less likely.
    Regarding logging out and spirits it appears if you have no divinity stone down your base slowly starts to deteriorate, love the idea of that, killing off any idle bases that someone may of abandon and didn't put much effort in. What I do disagree with here is assuming you got a base up and running, your divinity stone everything seems tight and cozy then you get raided over night, I get it, its a pvp server but what I don't agree with is the pillaging of the spirits, from what I've observed is it basically kills you and you spawn at the newbie area with 0 loot, there is no way to safely log out whether in your base or you saw the enemy coming so you high tailed it. If this is the case why does your character stay online for limited about of time when you log off, forcing you to be observant to where you log off yet afterwards when you do get the boot someone can simply come by, hit F and your done? I don't know if allowing the player to keep all the loot they had at log off point after they turn into a spirit is the right action but I feel there should be an adjustment.

You jump around in here... so forgive me if I miss something. Also, I'm not 100% sure what the logout mechanics are on PvP servers. I've not been playing PvP recently because I don't feel like Rend's PvP is particularly healthy atm.

Offline raiding is a problem of the genre. It's a problem that I hope FK will fix. I'm hoping for either A: some form of offline raid protection or B: something to more generally minimize the damage done by raiding, both offline and online.

I'm not a fan of the spirits for logging out. I understand some of the likely reasons behind them. Corpse vaulting is a tactic used to load up all of your good stuff on your character and then logging out, Without some method of accessing offline characters, this can be used to protect huge amounts of valuable goods.
    My last one is a tough one because I can see it going against the spirit of the pvp servers, I've seen some threads come up about how a T4 can slaughter anyone geared under them quite easily and be hard to take down. Now this is just a thought and maybe it could be organized in a different manner assuming it was implemented but consider anyone who is T4 can only -raid- those who are T4 or partially through the T3 ability's, make it a skill point from T3 mid way to T4 where it says hey you wanna start advancing into T4? You got to dump some sparks / point into this, soon as you do it opens you up to the T4 game. So assuming someone T1 - 3 is running around and killed by a T4, fair game, its open hunting world but they can at least run back to there base with resources knowing they can stock up again and go about there business differently knowing a T4 guy is running around pestering you.

PvP weapon/armor balance between tiers still needs more work from what I understand. In general, I've heard there are a lot of circumstances where weapons capable of one-shotting people regardless of armor or other stats. That's a balance issue.

As far as the raiding aspect of this goes... see my previous comment. I think we need something more solid that will more generally limit the damage that raiding can do. I want raiders to have incentive for what they do and reasons to do it, but this part of the game needs to be less zero-sum.