The Rend Early Access servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Test Rend's New Factionless (Classic) Game Mode

Since Rend’s first public-facing Alpha, the community has been asking for a version of the game that more closely resembles classic survival titles. In tandem with other Early Access roadmap features for Fall-Winter, the team’s been hard at work preparing a factionless game mode for Rend. With internal testing complete, we’re inviting players to participate in an early public test of the game mode on a special Public Test Realm (PTR) server before it goes live.

Here’s how to participate in the test:
  1. Open Steam and click Library at the top.
  2. Right-click on Rend in your Steam Library and click Properties.
  3. Click the Betas tab, select “publictest” from the pulldown menu and click Close.
  4. Steam should detect the Rend PTR patch and begin downloading it. Restart Steam if it does not.
  5. Run the game (should show as “Rend [publictest]” in your Steam Library). Click the Find Server button, then the Filters button. Select Custom from the Game Modes and click Apply, then join the "Public Test" server that appears.
  6. Please note that the PTR server will be updated incrementally. Scheduled downtimes will be announced in the Server Status forum.
The PTR is running in Classic mode which is a PvP environment. Immediately at login, players will notice a number of game features have been significantly updated including a streamlined crafting system, redesigned research spark sources, and more. These changes support factionless (Classic and Exploration) gameplay and some will carry over to the standard mode (Faction War) to improve features as outlined in the roadmap. We’ll release the full patch notes detailing these improvements when this version of the game hits the live servers.

We’re eager for your feedback on Rend’s new Classic game mode so be sure to share your thoughts with us on the forums, Discord, Reddit, and Steam!
Tagged:

Comments

• FrumpylumpsFrumpylumps ✭✭
    edited November 3
    There are always those players who want your game to be more like some other game that they like that already exists. Some developers have lost their niche by trying to cater to that vocal minority of players, and ended up no better than before. Darkfall Online is a good example of that. I hope that FK can stick with their vision and not be discouraged by low numbers.

• Personally, I believe greater problems exist in the combat mechanics-mostly the equipment stats disparity, pve and taming, and effectiveness of stags in pvp in the early game, and a lack of consolation of the player base rather than the faction mechanics.
    Many players quit as soon as they lose their advantage and there could be ranks and better rewards to incentivize sticking around in those losing games.
  • I kinda like this idea, it allows me to have my rend fix without necessarily having to deal with faction mechanics/drama which can get quite irritating. Sure, I like the faction system and am interested in this game because of it, but being able to learn/test stuff without the commitment of a faction server is less stressful.
  • Nice nice nice :cookie:
  • In other words...

"Hey, this game is dying and lacks people to form even ONE full server. So, let's divide the population even more by offering more game modes."

0 divided by 3 is still zero. Good luck!
  • JotaCeJotaCe ✭✭
    edited November 6
    Unlike the original game mode, now called Faction War, Ascension through spirit collection will not be a win condition and Reckonings will not occur in Classic and Exploration, promoting uninterrupted experiences on persistent 60-player servers.

In Classic, players will be able to battle for supremacy by sieging each others’ bases, waging PvP wars, capturing Control Points, and collecting player bounties. Exploration will be a purely PvE experience without the ability to attack other players or their bases: play at your own pace without other players intervening. While both modes allow players to band together in clans, all progression (such as research) is per-character and there will be no reputation system. Also, Classic and Exploration will still have harvestable spirits that reward XP and Spirit Residue but Yggdrasil’s spirit totals will remain unchanged. The Faction War game mode will mostly remain the same but will incorporate some of the gameplay improvements introduced with Classic and Exploration.

AWESOME! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
  • I think this is a wonderful move. I LOVE Rend. But I love it because of things other than the faction war (only thing I could do without.) I really like the graphics, the emphasis on ranged combat, the taming, the environment, etc. I agree with FrumpyLumps' comment above but I welcome this with open arms. The REASON I like this move is because: 1) With hardly any people playing the game right now it really hurts the nature of it being a multiplayer game. You understand if you've been the only one on a few servers trying to upgrade buildings and whatnot. 2) It provides a good option for players in the future when the game is released. Since they're implementing these options earlier rather than later, all the major issues should be ironed out; giving players a solid- all around survival game. 3) I remember when Fortnite first game out (before the Battle Royale) and I was one of the first people to pick it up. It was just a building game with zombies that could be played with friends. When the Battle Royale mode was introduced, the game blew up huge. But, the point is, the developers still held on to their initial idea by keeping and updating the primary option and also gave players another option that they enjoyed (Battle Royale). Either way, I love these developers and I'm happy to be here for the ride. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know!
  • @Scapes Will the PTR be ported to a server or will it be reset/deleted when the new patch goes live?
  • Personally, I believe greater problems exist in the combat mechanics-mostly the equipment stats disparity, pve and taming, and effectiveness of stags in pvp in the early game, and a lack of consolation of the player base rather than the faction mechanics.

We're addressing a number of those issues in parallel with the work being done to allow for these new game modes. Classic and Exploration also serve as a testbed for changes that easily migrate over to Faction War (original Rend).
  • DruidGamer wrote: »
    Will the PTR be ported to a server or will it be reset/deleted when the new patch goes live?

PTR is purely a test environment as the name suggests. It won't be migrated to a live official server and is apt to being wiped as needed.
  • Thank you for taking my post serious, this approach will open up the future of this game.
    If you can make a good mode to play solo, people would love to play tournaments in a professional manner, so yea keep up the good work.