The Rend Early Access servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Rend Developer Letter: Fall 2018

First and foremost, we’d like to express our thanks to the Rend community: you have helped bring the game to where it is today. It’s been quite a whirlwind year for Rend between kicking off our Alpha in early Spring to launching our Early Access on Steam only two months ago! It's hard to believe that just two years ago, Rend was a concept project by a trio of developers. We're now 18 staff members strong and just recently deployed our fifth major Early Access game update for Rend along with a number of interim patches and hotfixes (on a near weekly basis!) thanks to your valuable feedback and participation. Since day one, we have always said we're making the game for you - the players - and we're excited to share more about how it will be evolving over the next few months with our Winter Early Access roadmap.

Read more at https://www.rendgame.com/news/article/rend-developer-letter-fall-2018
Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Nothing on your road-map addresses the reason your game is dying. PvP is broken and griefing and trolling players is a serious issue. Not everyone in a survival game wants to PvP 24/7. Your reviews on Steam have gone from mixed to mostly negative. You need to break the cycle of EA games dying completely. Right now you aren't even trying. YOU WILL FAIL.

Damn it! Listen to your playerbase.
  • FrumpylumpsFrumpylumps ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    DruidGamer wrote: »
    Nothing on your road-map addresses the reason your game is dying. PvP is broken and griefing and trolling players is a serious issue. Not everyone in a survival game wants to PvP 24/7. Your reviews on Steam have gone from mixed to mostly negative. You need to break the cycle of EA games dying completely. Right now you aren't even trying. YOU WILL FAIL.

Helpless doomsayers like yourself are NOT the player base. You offer no solutions or insight to your vague complaints, and throwing your hands up and shrieking to everyone that the sky is falling isn't going to accomplish anything. Have you ever considered that this game is simply too harsh for you in EA?

The game definitely has problems but the the low population is mostly related to the difficulties in marketing a niche product, not that the game is too bad to be worth playing. I dislike the idea that every game need cater to the masses of stupid players who are mostly at fault for their own problems, and that even includes the PC gamer review. It is amazing how much the masses of you people need to have their hands held for them. Steam reviews of an early access game have almost zero credibility due to the number of spoilt and entitled overgrown idiot children that we call millennials, and the fact that you went there is indicative that you might be one of them.

Try voicing your criticism like this.

Changes I'd like to see:

-Soulbound tools and greater slot capacity on primary base structures to prevent faction tool theft.

-Pet command hotkeys. "come", "flee", "attack nearest target" that would not alter their set stances.

-Make private servers filtered out by default and move the filter button for private servers to the server list screen to compensate. Consider temporarily reducing the number of official servers.

-low-mid level stag hp nerf.

• edited September 2018
    Scapes wrote: »
    First and foremost, we’d like to express our thanks to the Rend community: you have helped bring the game to where it is today. It’s been quite a whirlwind year for Rend between kicking off our Alpha in early Spring to launching our Early Access on Steam only two months ago! It's hard to believe that just two years ago, Rend was a concept project by a trio of developers. We're now 18 staff members strong and just recently deployed our fifth major Early Access game update for Rend along with a number of interim patches and hotfixes (on a near weekly basis!) thanks to your valuable feedback and participation. Since day one, we have always said we're making the game for you - the players - and we're excited to share more about how it will be evolving over the next few months with our Winter Early Access roadmap.

Read more at https://www.rendgame.com/news/article/rend-developer-letter-fall-2018

You do realize the developers are people? They worked for not months, but years to develop this game. Look i'm not innocent i've actually talked so much smack about dayz that i was shadow banned from the sub reddit altogether. In my defense i was very patient with the development of dayz and only started getting agitated on the 3rd year of development when patches were literally a fucking year apart. Still pisses me off thinking about it.

Your on an official forum right now though. And sadly the first comment on this page is from an individual who's personality is actually toxic to the progress of this game. You do understand if you post stuff like this on steam or the official forum that new players will see this and make choices based of this information? If you like the game support it. Allow the dev's time to test and adjust PVP balance. I'm sure they are aware of it.

Changes id like to see are

-Moderation on steam
    -More Diverse win conditions or game modes that offer them
    -Possible Sparks nerf or adjustment for higher tier tools as the discrepancy in sparks obtained from Tier 1 --> Tier 2 is wide and allows snowballing to become worse if a team is already behind.
    -Generate Hype before a juicy patch
    -Followed by more hype
  • DruidGamer wrote: »

Helpless doomsayers like yourself are NOT the player base. You offer no solutions or insight to your vague complaints, and throwing your hands up and shrieking to everyone that the sky is falling isn't going to accomplish anything. Have you ever considered that this game is simply too harsh for you in EA?

The game definitely has problems but the the low population is mostly related to the difficulties in marketing a niche product, not that the game is too bad to be worth playing. I dislike the idea that every game need cater to the masses of stupid players who are mostly at fault for their own problems, and that even includes the PC gamer review. It is amazing how much the masses of you people need to have their hands held for them. Steam reviews of an early access game have almost zero credibility due to the number of spoilt and entitled overgrown idiot children that we call millennials, and the fact that you went there is indicative that you might be one of them.

Changes I'd like to see:

-Soulbound tools and greater slot capacity on primary base structures to prevent faction tool theft.

-Pet command hotkeys. "come", "flee", "attack nearest target" that would not alter their set stances.

-Make private servers filtered out by default and move the filter button for private servers to the server list screen to compensate. Consider temporarily reducing the number of official servers.

Wrong. Fan boys like you give the developers a false sense of security. You claim the low pop is due to marketing. You couldn't be more wrong. Looking at steam charts there WERE a significant (more than 10x) the amount of players who all QUIT! This isn't marketing these are people who played and found the game wanting. You can read many of these reviews- included by me- who suggest directions we all would like to see the game go. There is much consensus but the developers are ignoring us.
    edited September 2018

Changes I'd like to see:

Wrong. Fan boys like you give the developers a false sense of security. You claim the low pop is due to marketing. You couldn't be more wrong. Looking at steam charts there WERE a significant (more than 10x) the amount of players who all QUIT! This isn't marketing these are people who played and found the game wanting. You can read many of these reviews- included by me- who suggest directions we all would like to see the game go. There is much consensus but the developers are ignoring us.

Those fair-weather gamers and wow vacationers come and go in every game like this. It isn't evidence of anything really wrong with the game. You know why one of our factions quit last game? Because they built a bunch of personal bases and loaded it with stuff they couldn't handle losing. They lost their stuff and quit like stupid babies.. I dislike the idea that every game should cater to the dummies who need to have your hand held for everything. People like you write bad reviews and keep others from trying the game because of your own stupidity.

stream "reviews" % of an EA game don't mean anything. I've got several hundreds hours of entertainment already for my $30. You are grasping at straws. Running around like chicken little isn't helping at all.
  • DruidGamer wrote: »

Hey Druid,
    Sorry that you don't feel like the updates are addressing your concerns! I think when we have a chance to get into some more in-depth dives into the features mentioned above you'll see there's plenty we're shooting for to address griefing, trolling and the fundamental pain points of PvP. As a small team though, we need to do what we can and make the changes that we think will bring the most help to the game as quickly as possible.

I'd be happy to hear what kind of changes you're interested in seeing in the game though!
  • Try voicing your criticism like this.

Changes I'd like to see:

Thanks for the easy to parse feedback!

I know we've talked about Soulbound tools off and on. As we look at making some large scale changes to crafting/research/etc in an attempt to make the general curve and competition of the game feel better I know this is something we're going to keep an eye on.

Pet commands hotkeys are interesting. I'll bring it up to the team.

I'm 50/50 on filtering out private servers, since plenty of players have invested in interesting experiences they're hosting here. As we introduce new game types we're going to need to re-examine how we get players into game and hopefully we can see about using this to naturally segment players. I'll bring this up with the team too though, I don't hate the idea :)

Re: Reducing official servers. The biggest concern here currently is actually with the way Ascension points were implemented. We're hoping that once we've moved to an account based Ascension point system that we can either migrate or give players a path to migrate these points, and then we can re-evaluate the servers we have without losing anyone's data.

Part of the work we're doing to adjusting our biomes/creature combat is going back in to look at a balance pass for all our creatures, so things like creature HP/etc should get looked at with a closer lens as part of this. Curious to see if it moves the needle enough.

• Allow the dev's time to test and adjust PVP balance. I'm sure they are aware of it.

Changes id like to see are

-Moderation on steam
    -More Diverse win conditions or game modes that offer them
    -Possible Sparks nerf or adjustment for higher tier tools as the discrepancy in sparks obtained from Tier 1 --> Tier 2 is wide and allows snowballing to become worse if a team is already behind.
    -Generate Hype before a juicy patch
    -Followed by more hype

We sure are aware! (Or try to be :) )

What do you mean by Steam moderation?

We're doing our first pass at new game modes coming soon, hopefully these will start to address some of these concerns. Once we see how that works out we can continue to expand out from there, but Rend was built from the ground up to be a faction game so there's plenty of work just to get these new game modes working that we're still doing bugfixing on that's precursor work to getting things in a place where we can try new types beyond the basic ones we're launching soon.

The word snowballing is written in large font all over the place in the office. It's definitely something we know is painful, and are looking at a number of ways we want to make this feel better. There's a TON of things about Rend's design that makes this complicated, which makes it a fun and tricky problem to solve.

Re: Hype, I dub you hypemaster general. Wear your new title with pride.
  • Sorry should of been more specific. I meant steam forum moderation. This could happen in any video game forum but i noticed a lot of individuals who seem hell bent on doing damage in the forums to the games rep. Especially early on in release.

A lot of players including myself will check the forum (its a bad habit i admit) before they purchase a game (maybe they are on the fence about the purchase) it kind of gives you an idea of what to expect.

I think every bit of positivity helps, Rend is a great game and shouldnt be defaced by trolls. I wouldnt give them an inch.

• DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It's good to see this. It's one of those things that I'll be honest... I've been waiting for and hoping to see some indication that things we've talked about are being taken seriously. There have been some changes to the game recently that I'll be honest... I didn't understand and some I honestly still don't.

I still don't understand the choices that have been made on how to prevent T4 pet abuse, most of the people I've talked to on the issue have been in favor of allowing T4 pets to be tamed... but to just limit what they can harvest in some fashion. Either based on the tools you currently possess or based in some fashion on the research that the faction has completed.

On the other side, it's really good to see that some of the other concerns we've talked about are being looked at. Crafting and storage changes could be fantastic for the game. In particular implementing a warehouse with enough functionality can potentially do a *huge* amount to alleviate pain points in the game, including many related to PvP. I've authored a thread on the topic, as have a few other people.

Creature behaviors and abilities can make the game more enjoyable, though a lot of that is going to depend on what gets implemented and how it actually changes how the game is played (and what bugs it introduces!). Changes to the social nature of the game will be good as well, I think that in the end moving further away from the elder system and more towards voting systems will be a step in the right direction, even if I have to acknowledge it makes me nervous.

I'm curious to see more details on the new game modes. I'll be honest... I haven't been too thrilled with what little has been announced on this topic so far. I'd love to see PvP servers that weren't full-loot and competitive PvE servers, neither of which has appeared in anything I've seen.

All in all... I like in principle what I see and it keeps me hopeful. Thank you for the transparency (or at least the attempts at it). I know this has been a bumpy ride for you guys and I'm certain there are staff members who're disheartened by some of the things people have said, but it does still sound like you've got good plans and are trying to move the game in a better direction.
    DaOgre wrote: »
    What do you mean by Steam moderation?

Pretty certain he's talking about the steam forums, which (last I was over there a few weeks ago) were having some issues with toxicity. I know I ended up flagging several posts that were deleted.

@DruidGamer Actually several of the changes listed can have a definite impact on how PvP works. It mentions force-fields on doorways to prevent griefers from simply opening doors to let people in. Changes in general to PvP shooter mechanics. A faction warehouse (depending on how it ultimately worked) could do a lot to help with keeping spare gear around, which could substantively change the landscape in terms of how detrimental the full-loot PvP mechanics are. Don't get me wrong... there are lots of other things I'd like to see on those lists... from changes to how research sparks work to changes on how outposts work, but you can't tell me there's nothing on that list to help reduce and/or eliminate the trolling and griefing problems.
  • SaltychipmunkSaltychipmunk ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I'd be happy to hear what kind of changes you're interested in seeing in the game though!

Any chance we will see changes or a potential revert of some of the building nerfs?

Right now it is ludicrously easy to raid bases to the point where people are having to rebuild bases every single day or give up on bases all together.

It is so bad right now that many have given up building walls and just have what they politely call "open concept bases" where they have completely given up on protecting anything and accept that it will be gone when they wake up the next day. It does not sting as bad when you don't need to replace the thousands of blocks and cement lost when another faction inevitably destroys your seed while you are offline.

I myself have found it more practical to hide crafting tables on a single square foundation in the middle of nowhere to craft things than building a base with a seed.

This is totally borked.
  • I'd actually like to hear more on what FK is planning for personal bases in the long term. I actually don't want the current changes that have been made to be reverted, as it'd have too much impact on faction base defense, but I've said it before and I'll say it again... personal bases are a mess right now. They've been a mess in various forms since alpha and I really think ultimately are going to need a more comprehensive set of changes. Everything that my brain has come up with that is a 'simple' change really doesn't work. :(
  • Sorry should of been more specific. I meant steam forum moderation. This could happen in any video game forum but i noticed a lot of individuals who seem hell bent on doing damage in the forums to the games rep. Especially early on in release.

A lot of players including myself will check the forum (its a bad habit i admit) before they purchase a game (maybe they are on the fence about the purchase) it kind of gives you an idea of what to expect.

I think every bit of positivity helps, Rend is a great game and shouldnt be defaced by trolls. I wouldnt give them an inch.

While I agree with you that every bit of positivity helps, ultimately our job is to make a game that people are excited to play, and I don't think silencing the voices of people that are unsatisfied with the game does anyone any good. I haven't checked out the Steam Forums personally but I'll take a look!
  • edited September 2018
    Darinth wrote: »
    I'd actually like to hear more on what FK is planning for personal bases in the long term. I actually don't want the current changes that have been made to be reverted, as it'd have too much impact on faction base defense, but I've said it before and I'll say it again... personal bases are a mess right now. They've been a mess in various forms since alpha and I really think ultimately are going to need a more comprehensive set of changes. Everything that my brain has come up with that is a 'simple' change really doesn't work. :(

Personal Bases ARE a mess right now. Our goal in the short term is to fix how faction bases work, and make that core mechanic feel good. Once we have that in a better shape with Warehouse working as intended, decreasing some of our crafting complexity and tuning what that experience feels like, we can re-evaluate how to improve personal bases feeling good, without feeling that they're pulling focus away from the main faction. We know this isn't in an ideal state, and hopefully we can find a way to make these awesome and additive.
  • So... are we having some special care to protect people from griefing mechanics? I came from a server where the faction that was ahead just plain destroyed every single building and pillaged every single chest from the other competing faction and then came to the forum cry about winning mechanics and why the people from the other faction shouldn´t just abandon the server. Btw, I logged in my razed faction after that just to gloat on how satisfying their "victory" was while they farmed for a week to reset the server.
  • edited September 2018
    Sorry should of been more specific. I meant steam forum moderation. This could happen in any video game forum but i noticed a lot of individuals who seem hell bent on doing damage in the forums to the games rep. Especially early on in release.

While I agree with you that every bit of positivity helps, ultimately our job is to make a game that people are excited to play, and I don't think silencing the voices of people that are unsatisfied with the game does anyone any good. I haven't checked out the Steam Forums personally but I'll take a look!

I also agree with you about censorship, constructive Feedback is the goal right? You can't avoid angry players knee jerk comments either. No game on steam can. However being openly toxic in almost every post on steam and repeating the same thing's over again provides nothing for the user base, development, overall moral, or enticing new customers.

there are only 2 players in my mind that have gone far enough to warrant disciplinary action and i think a lot of people on the steam forum and rend discord know them well by now. I'll give a bit of an overview. below are two greatest offenders on steam in my opinion.

"Social Justice is for Cumqwats"

This player goes on and on in multiple posts and usually the posts have a negative titles also. This individual is attracted to these posts and he's been doing this as far back as the middle of august.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/547860/discussions/0/1733212454825839000/

"It is over. They ♥♥♥♥ed up. It sucks since this game was really cool but the devs are garbage. They did nothing and let their game die and just cash grabbed."

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/547860/discussions/0/2727382174626571016/

"Originally posted by ᴏᴘ | GRIM REAPER87:
    si i litteraly u just bought rend downloading now should i get a refund?
    Honestly, yes.
    The game had a player base for the first week but the devs are a joke and "making games is hard, guise"
    This isn't from them but from Bohemia about DayZ and I feel they are following suit."

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/547860/discussions/0/1734336452601250220/

"This game is basically DoA. It had a chance but frankly the devs dropped the ball. One look at their official forums and all you see is a chinese spam bot on there making countless threads.

That pretty much sums it up nicely.

Thanks for cashgrabbin! You slimey ♥♥♥♥♥uckers."

"BoneBreakerr"

This user doesn't even own the game but he spares no opportunity to slam Rend whenever he can and it's price tag. (30$ is half price of a fully released game and a fair price for EA in my opinion) This user also has been at it for a long time and it's the same rambling type of propaganda everytime

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/547860/discussions/0/2727382174639157374/

"yes it is .ignore this people who said no.they are just simple to blind and stupid.
    the game is to expensive for what it offers.its like paying for a new car but the car has no wheels engine doors and windows and you still pay full price.thats what i would discribe this game.when it got released the game had 4k players and now it has 300 players in game.(its a dead game )
    not even talking about the slow development .
    the game was pushed to release way to fast.like srsly they dont even have all icons in place or info .you are just like that blind kid who wanted to play foodball.
    even if they fix all bugs laggs frame drops add tutorials at once people wont come back because the core of the game is fkt up.you are a bow man fighting monsters at close range. just think about it you sit there and take all the damage .no rolle no dodge nothing to work with the bow.
    300 players in game for a 20 vs 20 vs 20 game.there are fully build games that cost 30$ or even less.but this game has no content just infinite farm"

I have reported these two users multiple times on the rend discord and on the steam forum. If you dig you will find a lot of post's just like these if not worse from these two users. I have worked in the service industry for a long time myself. I understand people get upset sometimes. However certain boundaries have to be in place to promote a healthy environment for everyone. employee and customer. Going on a full fledged smear campaign on the official forums, steam forum or reddit should not be acceptable at this magnitude. I can understand if a player wants to state his opinion he should be able to do so. However this behavior, It's the same as "review bombing" in the sense that it's basically "counter marketing" and "misrepresenting" a great product that others will enjoy. Those two players in particular are making an attempt to do damage at this point in my opinion not state an opinion.

Also i do not mind at all if you review and delete my post, i would rather nobody have to read any of that stuff or see it to begin with. I was going to DM you but couldn't find an option

• So... are we having some special care to protect people from griefing mechanics? I came from a server where the faction that was ahead just plain destroyed every single building and pillaged every single chest from the other competing faction and then came to the forum cry about winning mechanics and why the people from the other faction shouldn´t just abandon the server. Btw, I logged in my razed faction after that just to gloat on how satisfying their "victory" was while they farmed for a week to reset the server.

From the original post: "Shifts decision-making power from Elders to the faction through permission requests and voting."

That's and the employment of a warehouse, we hope, will greatly reduce the opportunity for griefing. Griefers will always find SOME way to make things rough but we're going to do our best to continue to improve things there. We agree that this is one of the most painful experiences in the game, and while things are definitely getting better we still have a long ways to go.
    edited October 2018

From the original post: "Shifts decision-making power from Elders to the faction through permission requests and voting."

That's and the employment of a warehouse, we hope, will greatly reduce the opportunity for griefing. Griefers will always find SOME way to make things rough but we're going to do our best to continue to improve things there. We agree that this is one of the most painful experiences in the game, and while things are definitely getting better we still have a long ways to go.

I really hope you aren't considering making Elder a voted thing because what will happen is that clic groups will take well-earned Elder status from the real players just because they weren't part of their in-crowd. That would be super shitty and reeks of unfairness.
  • No, what they are saying is that they are going to try and move some of the power away from the elder. Elders right now have alot of sway in terms of how things are built , who has access to what etc. they probably want to find a way to get that kind of power spread out more.
  • And yet my example wasn´t about elder griefing, which the team seems to be on top, but between factions, when the other faction goes that extra unecessary mile just to agravate the oposing faction. Is it really necessary for every single faction construction except the tree and the research stones be destructable? Does it add any interesting mechanic or more fun to the game? Reminds me of the handcuffs and the cage in ARK from a design perspective.