The official Rend servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

The final solution (to snowballing) and losing player retention.

GerickGerick
edited September 2018 in Game Feedback
The way that Rend can defeat Snowballing is to have adaptive difficulty. Make the game play exactly as it does for top faction, and play easier for bottom faction. Invert the pyramid without exactly ruining the "Fairness" aspect of the game. How? In a lore friendly manner of course!

From now on, the game hands out a buff that does not directly effect combat but DOES have an intense effect on player behavior and the "grind" expected of that player. This buff is based on the idea that the faction is coming closer and closer to being lost. Literally.

Top faction
Feeling human. No changes.

Middle-faction
Shadow of the lost.
Description: You feel numb
  • 50% slower hydration and energy loss
  • 30% less effect of spirit sickness
  • PVP death results in the loss of potions, elixirs, ammo, unequipped gear, unequipped weapons and raw resources.

Bottom-faction
Madness of the lost
Description: All must share in your pain and suffering.
  • 75% slower hydration and energy loss.
  • 100% less effect of spirit sickness
  • PVP death results in the loss of unequipped gear, unequipped weapons and raw resources.
  • You do not get sky-beacon for pvp kills.
  • Reduced spirit reward if killed in pvp.

What does this accomplish?

1.) You massively embolden the losing faction to become the most aggressive faction in pvp because they lose essentially nothing. The people most likely to quit the server just became the unholy terror of the server.
2.) The losing faction can now utilize the spirit realm as a war front. They also have a heck of a lot easier time taming things because they're not having to manage spirit sickness.
3.) The losing faction sucks at farming sparks or resources, either way, having to worry about food and water 1/4th the time should help make up their lack of ability.

Why is this a better solution than most?

1.) You're not increasing anyone's damage.
2.) You're not increasing anyone's health or armor.
3.) You ARE separating the most powerful players from having all of the advantages. Suddenly they have the most to lose from a pvp encounter.
4.) It's lore friendly. The lost exist in and out of the spirit realm, they do not eat or drink, they simply feel driven to kill and murder the vikings that have yet to fall.

Comments

• It's an interesting take on catchup mechanics. How do you determine 'top' faction? I feel like the best option would be research based, I feel spirits may be abused (keep your spirits just below the middle faction or top faction and use the bonuses to farm with relative impunity).
  • Darinth wrote: »
    It's an interesting take on catchup mechanics. How do you determine 'top' faction? I feel like the best option would be research based, I feel spirits may be abused (keep your spirits just below the middle faction or top faction and use the bonuses to farm with relative impunity).

I don't think that's very likely, to be honest, that someone could game the spirit system that precisely. People suspected the same meta-gaming would go on with war observance, and it really hasn't. Worst comes to worst, they could just hide the spirit progress bar on the tree so everyone can only guess at how big the gulf is between factions.

(Hell, that might be healthier for the game in general... if you can't tell by how much you are behind. )
  • I like that suggestion very much. <3 <3 <3

A bunch of questions come to mind :
    How much of a difference in the faction level should there be before the buffs kick in ?
    Should it trigger even with the slightest level difference ?
    Should there be situations where nobody gets any of the buffs even if all factions do not have the exact same level ?
    Should the buff be based on the level difference between factions or be fixed values as described ?
  • Silvido wrote: »
    I like that suggestion very much. <3 <3 <3

A bunch of questions come to mind :
    How much of a difference in the faction level should there be before the buffs kick in ?
    Should it trigger even with the slightest level difference ?
    Should there be situations where nobody gets any of the buffs even if all factions do not have the exact same level ?
    Should the buff be based on the level difference between factions or be fixed values as described ?

Good questions but for the system suggested I would think the buff should be based on the difference between a faction and the highest scoring of the other two factions. This prevents any immediate scaling differences at near equal levels and should also mean that nobody benefits from it until one faction has taken a massive lead.

As far as the actual values used, I feel like we'd need to describe a more general function that involves spirits and total sparks turned in as well as total player levels on any given faction and then balance that against the other factions. Ideally this represents not only player activity but the current status of the faction itself.

The hard part here is going to be determining what the actual buff is. The ones above seem good, although I couldn't speak to specifics, but I'd add that sparks are no longer able to be dropped on player death for the lowest faction. Also maybe revise the spirit sickness one since it's already possible to limit it to the point of obsoletion. Personally, I'd like to see harder reckoning waves for the leading faction.
  • I would say that it should be present from day 1 of the server starting with 8 hours after the server launches. If any faction overtakes another faction, their buff status changes at the top of the hour. (This will keep the buff for 2nd and 3rd place from rapidly switching back and forth. This will also keep the server impact low compared to a constantly running instruction set.)

If it causes unexpected gameplay, or fails to achieve it's goals, the strength/benefits of the buff can be adjusted. I do not think it should be on a sliding rule because having those benefits are meant to get you out of 3rd place. If those benefits ease off as you come to the cusp of being 2nd place, you're not going to overtake the 2nd place faction.

Ideally in any sport or contest, to keep it interesting, the more jockeying there is for placement the better the contest.
  • Now that is a chunky idea , i approve
  • or maybe just have it slide to a point so it doesn't go below 50% or something. Then the faction that's farther behind still gets more of a buff than the one that's closer, but it's still valuable right up until you take the lead.
  • No reason to make it slide. The idea is to immediately provide a moral increase by stopping a free fall. Like a rope snapping taunt after you slip in rock climbing. Backslide is a word with negative connotations for a reason. Honestly better to just balance it around simple numbers, the easing off effect of coming close to overtaking faction 2 would likely just result in staying below faction 2. The idea is for constant trading to keep faction 2/3 invested.