The official Rend servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Upcoming Changes to Creature Taming in Patch 5

Early Access warriors,

With a number of official servers reaching ascension and beginning new sagas, we've been hearing feedback that entry-level taming tools are capable of taming creatures in late-game biomes. As many players have assumed, this is not intended gameplay. The current way that taming works is being redesigned to prevent this from happening, a change scheduled to be introduced in Patch 5, our next major game update.

Currently, the tame bar on a creature doesn't decay at the intended rate based on which biome the creature is from, allowing creatures capable of harvesting late-game resources (and sparks of genius) to be tamed far earlier than intended. As of Patch 5, tame bars will decay at different rates that scale with the biome difficulty with late-game creatures requiring more advanced taming tools (unlocked by research).

While there's a lot more being introduced in Patch 5, we wanted to highlight this upcoming game balance fix. We'll be sharing more insight into what's soon coming to Rend next week.
Tagged:

Comments

• Will the rate of the bar dropping be the only thing changed in that system? If so, my understanding of what's going on will mean it'll have little-to-no impact. It'll take a bit longer for the 'tame poison' to stack up far enough to override the decay rate, but I don't think the methodology to abusing the pet system will change. Players are still going to box in tames to prevent them from running, kill them, and tame them in their boxes. :(
  • Yeah it will only work if the decay is always present. if that is the case then it will work i assume by making it impossible for low tier taming munitions to fill the bar before out right killing the creature in question.

if decay only kicks in after a period of time passes between tame shots then yeah the tame box abuse will nullify this change
  • It's possible my understanding of mechanics is flawed, but my understanding is that there's a cap on how high the taming dot can stack and it's already possible to hit that cap with the base taming gear without serious issue. If that cap was removed (or increased far enough to be effectively removed) a taming decay could fix it. It could also be fixed by adding a decay to the taming dot itself in higher level zone, meaning that you'd have to use higher tier taming tools or the decay on the dot would overwhelm your ability to stack said dot.
  • Darinth wrote: »
    Will the rate of the bar dropping be the only thing changed in that system? If so, my understanding of what's going on will mean it'll have little-to-no impact. It'll take a bit longer for the 'tame poison' to stack up far enough to override the decay rate, but I don't think the methodology to abusing the pet system will change. Players are still going to box in tames to prevent them from running, kill them, and tame them in their boxes. :(

Even if they can eventually overwhelm the tame loss over time of higher tier biomes, its going to cost a TON of spirit residue to get there, in a system where in the first 3-6 days residue is absolutely precious. 1 or 2 players getting a t3 tame in the first week isn't gonna throw the balance off too much in a proper 20v20v20 server.

• Dear Devs! Plese put flying animals to this game. For example harmless flying animals, whos can just fly, but they cannot attack. Like the stag, the stag can run fast, but dont attack or carry anything. Because if the players can fly high, and see the beauty world what you created, its so amazing feeling.
  • My concern will be what will the purpose of pets be other than the stag's transport?
  • Druidgamer that is an easy answer, purpose is the same purpose they are supposed to have currently, Frogs have a high carry capacity and can farm plants, turtles have a high carry capacity and farm metals, rams ect. ect. ect. The problem is when at tier 1 you can tame a tier 4 and farm higher lvl nodes to get higher tier drop rates of sparks and items. tier 4 frog can suck down 40 to 70 tarberries off 1 node, where as with normal harvesting you can only get about 20 if your lucky, and on average i get 5 to 10 sparks off that same tarberry node where as i might get 1 to 3 with normal farming. Tier 4 pets allow you to fly through the first 2 tiers in hours instead of days (unless your lucky to have a full 20 man faction crew working as a team and focusing on 1 research) IF i can suggest, make taming requirements based on tiers of research. for tier 2 area tames you need tier 2 stable, tier 3 needs lvl 3 research and tier 4 needs lvl 4 research, with each tier is a new taming arrow and taming bow needed to get those tier or lower pets. that solves the problem of tier 4 pets at tier 1 research. ALSO make it so you NEED a taming bow. exploiting using a basic craft bow that does 1 more damage than a taming bow makes taming easy as well, No need to make a taming bow even, don't waste your spirits, just use a basic craft bow.

in short, tier research should be needed to tame higher tier pets. taming bows required to tame a pet, if you don't use a taming bow you can't stack, that should fix the exploits.