The Rend Early Access servers are online. Please share your game feedback and bug reports with us!

Boring win mechanic kills another official server.

NA - East, Bladespeaker is in its death throes. This was an extremely healthy official server until last night. Our third reckoning went extremely well. Order faction finally managed to wipe the Conclave faction which was their only competition. Revenant had been lagging behind severely since the start.

Now with the entire Order faction feeling like they had won, yet only 67% of the way through filling their spirit tree, people stopped logging back in. And why should they? They won. The game is over, all thats left is to run around grinding spirits for a few days to end the game. But that's no fun. Nobody wants to do that.

So the server just dies.

The win mechanic needs to be tied into pvp. Nobody wants to grind souls to win the game, it just doesnt make any sense.

Comments

• edited August 2018
    We need to be able to destroy enemy faction trees to win the game. Otherwise, they can simply punish the winning faction by never showing up and giving us nothing to do but farm spirits or leave the server in a half-finished state that no one wants to play.
  • It also killed most EU servers already, siegebreaker which I play on is also nearly completely dead
  • We wiped the enemy factions w/ 50% spirits to go. It was extremely boring farming the last 50k since almost everyone stopped logging back in. But as things get tweaked the PvP should get balanced enough so you cant face roll the other faction.
  • That's because people are weak , our base got totally wiped but we rebuilt and are neck and neck again with the other faction. Nothing wrong with the game you just have weak opposition. Come to EU dreadveil join order and help us beat the revs if you want real competition
  • "People are playing it wrong" doesn't work for me. The game should be designed such that if the enemy teams simply give up you can win without grinding your butt off.
  • perhaps having the options to wipe out the other team entirely for an early finish and fresh start would be better than just setting people back and then having vacant servers.

This could be introduced at a point when you have spent so many sparks on any of the research options to unlock the ability to curse the opposition's faction tree if you can break your way through.

People can then play defensive to hold more aggressive players back or be the aggressor and strike and earlier win.
  • DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    I feel atm like too many of Rend's mechanics revolve around grinding, and the win condition is kind of the largest indicator of the problem. I'm not sure exactly what the best solution is. The game can be kept more interesting by reducing the ability of a team to snowball and/or adding more catchup mechanics, but in the end that might just be hiding an underlying issue. I feel like I've pedaled my topic that would at least help resolve the issue enough at this point without anybody even willing to give feedback, so I'm uncertain what kind of a solution people might potentially want at this point.
  • Heart of the problem remains that most servers are off balance. Either by one faction having T4 and others T2, or the fact that on side has a 20 presence all the time. Balance to either strive to make players more balanced on sides or I hate to say it, create a catch up mechanic for those that do not have the dedicated play time that some have.
  • FrumpylumpsFrumpylumps ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It is fine. Get over your obsession with winning. The game is fun regardless of the victory mechanic. It is meant to be done casually. A 25% difference between 1st and 2nd place really isn't enough for you babies? No sane person goes out and farms spirits for 5 days straight for a small bonus in ascention points.

I guess they should make it 100%, 85%, 75% for all the man children who think winning is everything and can't stand to lose in a vid game.
  • DarinthDarinth ✭✭✭
    @Frumpylumps .... nobody here is complaining about the win bonus. Nobody seems to really care about it.

What people care about is that the win conditions in Rend are strictly a farming simulator. Not even a good one. It's punching blue lights and gathering flowers. You can ignore too much of the rest of the game and win at a ridiculous pace. A dedicated team of 20 people can take a faction from 0 spirits to a win in 24 hours. Would take about 16 hours of the most boring, mind-numbing grind the world has ever seen... but it's how you win.
  • To bad you don´t know how to use siegehammers to farm spirits from the spirit tree right? It could be over next reckoning, it could be over in the previous one.
  • Frumpylumps, you've built a giant personal castle on our server, right outside of the main faction base.

Now you're on the forums calling people "obsessive man-children" because they want to win?

This approach is actively discouraging people, as you've proven you're just wasting time, both yours and other people's. You're not trying to progress with the team, and now you're ridiculing those that are trying to win?

Sad.
    edited August 2018
    @Drainth

I think it is fine because winning the larger game really doesn't matter much and soon people will wise up and begin to realize that ascension points come easy and "winning" isn't worth spending the last 5 days grinding spirits straight. It is something that is meant to be done casually and not supposed to be a race. Games are supposed to be about fun, not about winning. Rend succeeds at being fun regardless of the victory mechanic that some people are taking way too seriously. I'm sure we've all heard it said before that "winning isn't everything" and if you are get hung up on the victory mechanic and can't enjoy the game because of it then you do not have a healthy mental attitude for gaming. People like that have become addicted to the serotonin injection they get from winning and nothing else seems to matter much to them. It is kind of sad really.

Personally, I like the victory mechanic because it isn't always the most skillful or rich player who wins but those who want it more.

• I think we should have a mechanic where u cant choose to drop shields on bases outside the normal times, while shields are down the faction earns spirits when they come back up say 500 spirits.

this would encourage pvp and get to the end faster, I think for balance this mechanic cant be activated until say server day 10 so 5 days after byway points are available.
    Cigars keep me sane
    edited August 2018
    Frumpylumps, you've built a giant personal castle on our server, right outside of the main faction base.

Now you're on the forums calling people "obsessive man-children" because they want to win?

This approach is actively discouraging people, as you've proven you're just wasting time, both yours and other people's. You're not trying to progress with the team, and now you're ridiculing those that are trying to win?

Sad.

I edited my post to be less antagonistic. I'm not actively discouraging people on our server. You do what you want to do, I'm just calling it like I see it and I don't care if the truth hurts, especially when those types of people are the arrogant ones who typically abuse and berate others in the pursuit of their own agenda.

It is ironic that you are complaining about my personal base when I originally intended to forgo my personal base in leu of having personal storage chests in the base with elder. People from YOUR group informed me that wasn't the purpose of elder chests and that I should build my own base. You know this. The biggest base is the strongest base and if i'm going to do something, i'm going to do it right.
    This is my first play through so I wasn't aware of the possibilities and I in no way regret anything I've done in the game except for contributing to much of my time to such ungrateful cunts.

btw, how am I wasting other peoples time? You aren't making any sense.

Your strategy is trash and you didn't listen to reason, you wanted to get survival gear before t2 pot as an example. You lost the outposts just like I said you would then you get angry at people for not obeying you when you didn't even ask for their opinion. Did you ever think to ask the group if they wanted to farm souls non stop and try to win outnumbered?

And don't talk to me about teamwork when your guys have been looting my shit from day 1. People were telling me I don't work when I was Elder. Fucking ridiculous. You guys don't deserve me.

edited August 2018
    Frumpylumps, you've built a giant personal castle on our server, right outside of the main faction base.

Sad.

I edited to be less antagonostic but I'm calling it like I see it as someone with a good understanding of human psychology. . Did you even think to ask the group if they wanted to try to try to farm souls against an outnumbering force for victory? How you going to ask me to suffer that shit and talk about teamwork when your guys have been looting me from day 1? I'm not actively discouraging people on our server from doing what they want to do, but i'm not going to refrain from pointing out the folly in it on the forums.

Is it ironic that you complain about my personal base when I originally intended to forgo my personal base and instead use elder chests as my personal storage space but YOUR clan members complained that wasn't the purpose of elder chests and that I should build my own personal base. If i'm going to do something i'm going to do it right and i wanted to make the strongest storage possible and that means a large building with lots of walls. What is it that you don't understand? How am I at fault here?

How am I wasting time?
  • Im with Frumpylumps ,man up play the video game have fun
  • Frumpylumps, you're at fault because you're on the forums ridiculing people for playing the game how THEY want to play the game.

You've mentioned on multiple occasions (in game and out) that people from "my" clan have been looting your body from day one. This isn't true (to my knowledge), and I joined the clan that I got invited to (and everyone else on the server got invited to) so I could play and progress as a team.

You've made it apparent you want to play the game on your own, not helping others, and no intention of winning. I honestly don't care what you do, but if you're actively trying to discourage people from trying to win, then you're just being a troll.

If you have a good understanding of human psychology, I encourage you to do some self-assessment. You started an argument early on the wipe saying how people are wasting time with personal bases, even so much as blowing a gasket in Discord (it's on stream) swearing at the top of your lungs that someone's logic was "f-ing stupid". Yet here we are, you live in the biggest base on the server (built right outside of main faction base) and are on the forums ridiculing people for wanting to win.

Again, do your own thing, but don't drag others down with you, and don't come on the forums claiming superiority over others, calling people babies, when you're the one acting out.
  • Frumpylumps, you're at fault because you're on the forums ridiculing people for playing the game how THEY want to play the game.

You've mentioned on multiple occasions (in game and out) that people from "my" clan have been looting your body from day one. This isn't true (to my knowledge), and I joined the clan that I got invited to (and everyone else on the server got invited to) so I could play and progress as a team.

You've made it apparent you want to play the game on your own, not helping others, and no intention of winning. I honestly don't care what you do, but if you're actively trying to discourage people from trying to win, then you're just being a troll.

If you have a good understanding of human psychology, I encourage you to do some self-assessment. You started an argument early on the wipe saying how people are wasting time with personal bases, even so much as blowing a gasket in Discord (it's on stream) swearing at the top of your lungs that someone's logic was "f-ing stupid". Yet here we are, you live in the biggest base on the server (built right outside of main faction base) and are on the forums ridiculing people for wanting to win.

Again, do your own thing, but don't drag others down with you, and don't come on the forums claiming superiority over others, calling people babies, when you're the one acting out.

I'm ridiculing the obsession with winning that has compromised all sense of reason on the forums, which i think is perfectly fair. You have been ridiculing me in-game for building a personal base which I originally didn't even want to build, which really isn't fair at all and pretty hypocritical. I wrongly assumed you were part of jarets group ignored my advice and caused us to suffer moral hits for your failed ventures, and the fact you are claiming i'm a solo player after I have contributed so much of my time really doesn't want to help you guys at all.

I don't know what argument you are talking about personal bases but perhaps you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

Just because I don't want to take part in your poorly conceived plans doesn't mean I wasn't helping, and my Elder status is proof of that. You guys lost the outposts just like I knew you would and donated your time to the enemy, causing us to take a huge moral hit. Then you were telling us to get surival gear before t2 pots. x

We should have been bombing their bases like I had advised but you expected everyone to drop everything and farm souls for 5 days.

Wake the fuck up and get over yourself. How many times do you have to fail before you realize you have been the problem?
  • Maybe have a process by which all three elders of the dominated factions agree to concede via vote, and the winner is decided that way if the spirit disparity is significant enough? maybe 30%... higher or lower?